Monday, May 4, 2009

Organic Church in small town Texas (con't)

Organic Church in small town Texas
Wed, 4-22-09

This Wednesday I was unable to attend the group due to a phone conference I was committed to that started at 7:30 PM. I asked Betsy to share about our group for Wed. Her impressions are what follow.

On Wednesday, April 22, our meeting was scheduled for 6:30 pm at our house. I put in a roast at 1 pm to cook, and then made a salad ahead of time. Marcia called at 5 pm to ask what was on the menu. I laughed, and told her just to bring what she wanted, but then relented and told her what I was making. She said something about muffins and banana bread, and then we chatted some more and hung up.

At 6:31 pm, I left the house for a very quick trip to the grocery store. The last time Jim had been to meeting, he was drinking a Dr Pepper again, and I had determined to have some DP on hand for him the next time. We generally don’t have sodas on hand, so this was a big step for me. Anyway, I remembered late that day that I still didn’t have any DP in the house. When I returned to the house at 6:36 pm, I said, “Oh, good Mary’s here!” and I noticed that Marcia and Paul’s van was in the driveway, blocking my way to the garage. I just drove into the carport and went in the house the other way. Marcia giggled as I said she was blocking my way, “Jackie directed me to that place.” And Jackie added, “You just shouldn’t have left so late.” I agreed good-naturedly and set the sodas on the counter.

We sat in the living room for a few minutes, and then I looked at Marcia and said, “Is Jan coming?” “She said she might be able to make it if Julie could drive her, but she had another teleconference tonight at 7:30.” So then we decided to go ahead and have our meal.

I walked into the kitchen, opened the oven, started to get the roast out, and promptly dropped it! Gravy went all over the cabinets and floor. Oh, well. No harm was done. I simply got a bunch of paper towels and wiped it up. There was still plenty of gravy left for us, and the roast was delicious! We enjoyed eating together, and just sat around the table, the 5 of us.

As we talked, it became apparent that tonight was Mary’s night to share. It was beautiful listening to her share her heart about her family, and learning more about her than before. At the end we just naturally started praying for her granddaughter that she was so burdened for, as well as some others in our circle of influence that we felt burdened about.

Jackie shared a chapter out of a book by John Fischer, True Believers Don’t Ask Questions, which we all enjoyed, as it had to do with separating things in life into sacred and secular. It talks about Phil Keaggy and how “invisible” he has become to unbelievers since he began recording with “Christian” record labels.

When we looked up, we all suddenly checked our watches and were completely astounded to find that it was nearly 10 pm! We so enjoyed the time we shared and prayed. I felt truly blessed as I hugged and said good-bye to all.


Organic Church in small town Texas
Sunday, 4-26-09

We met today in the home of the Koellns. Everyone began arriving around 1 PM with pot luck dishes in hand. Today we had a large group, but some of the regulars were not there. Betsy was not feeling well, so she and Jackie were unable to attend. Marcia’s parents, Marc and Colleen, came along with both of Marcia’s adult sons, their wives and young daughters. So, we had four generations of the same family with us today. Jim and I were there along with Mary. Marcia’s teenage daughter, Jamie, was with friends at another function. Also, Mike and Karen and their kids were not with us today.

We started by praying over the wonderful meal. Tim prayed this time. As we ate, we discussed many different issues of the day. Earlier that day, I had snagged a quote from Dietrich Bonhoeffer, “Christianity without the living Christ is inevitably Christianity without discipleship and Christianity without discipleship is always Christianity without Christ” off the status from my friend David Flower’s facebook page. Thought it would be a good point of discussion. Also, that morning, I had visited another site on the internet, http://www.organicchurchtoday.com and had seen a daily devotional on Ps 33:20-22. We discussed the verse and how we put our hope in the Lord. How we are to trust Him wholly. Marc brought up Prov 3:5-6 and how the two passages go hand in hand.

Mary shared some about a picture God had given her. She was feeling last week that everything was out of control. She saw herself standing amongst all kinds of things whirling around her head and shoulders. But, when she looked down, she saw she was standing on a rock. As we all stand on the rock that is Jesus, we know we are on solid ground.

Greg and Dana’s little girl was fussy, nap time, so they left shortly after dinner. Others also had things to attend to that day, so the group broke up a little earlier than usual.

We will meet again on Wed. at the Robinetts.
The brothers Koelln, Greg and Tim with Tim's daughter Lucy.
Marcia and Paul
Amy and Mary
Sharing our meal
Good food and good fellowship

No comments: